Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Brave Girl


We always knew that Emma had a bit of an allergy to certain types of insect bites, but it was never something that a little Benadryl didn't fix right up. Yesterday her teachers called me to say that she got bit by an ant on her foot and that she was starting to have a pretty bad reaction. I raced to the school and when I saw her I was in shock with how bad it actually was. Her foot had swelled so much that we couldn't put on her sandal and her eyelids, lips, and ears were swollen, bright red and blistered. Her cheeks and nose were covered in red bumps and she couldn't keep from scratching all over - it wasn't pretty. I quickly gave her a dose of Benadryl and decided that we needed to head to the ER. Luckily it was empty and they saw her right away. After checking her out they gave her a steroid shot and once the trauma of the entire ordeal started to fade away, she drifted off into the sweetest nap right there on the hospital bed.

My Dad met us at the ER and my Mom stayed with Buddy at their house while we focused on our girl. I'm so grateful that we have such an amazing support system full of loved ones that are willing to drop everything to help us when we need them. Seeing Emma be so brave even though I know she was scared made me realize what a big girl I have. She was the model patient and hearing her answer the doctor's questions with her sweet chipmunk voice was really something. We love her so much and I hope that we never have to experience anything like this again. She woke up today with a slightly swollen foot, a few red bumps and most importantly, a big smile. I'll take it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...