Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Homemade Reese's Peanut Butter Cups


Now let me forewarn you...this is freaking outrageous. Even though I substantially underestimated the amount of chocolate that I needed and ended up only being able to make 12 (12!) mini cups, it was so worth it. I melted two large bars of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate (your favorite chocolate bar would be fine, too) but I would recommend using 6 large bars just to make the whole endeavor worth your time. That would yeild about 36 mini cups and make it perfect for sharing!

I used this recipe for the peanut butter filling:

1 cup creamy peanut butter (I used the Natural Creamy Jiff)
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup light brown sugar
1¼ cups powdered sugar

In a medium saucepan, combine peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar. Heat over medium heat until completely melted and starting to bubble a bit. Remove from heat and with a mixer add in powdered sugar, 1/4 cup at a time until thoroughly combined.  It will be a little crumbly and won't resemble icing.  Go ahead and give it a taste (like I could stop you) and add a pinch of salt if you find the mixture too sweet. Cool completely.

* You will more than likely have lots of leftover filling so I might suggest crumbling it into brownies or blending with some bananas and yogurt for a tasty smoothie!

To assemble the cups I just used regular mini muffin liners and layered chocolate, peanut butter filling and then more chocolate over the top, waiting for the chocolate to harden before adding each layer.

You can thank me later.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...