Thursday, October 27, 2011

Fall Festival


We had a tough morning. I don't even really care to get into the specifics about it, but there were lots of tears and running around the house. Mainly by me and it wasn't pretty.

What I still can't figure out is how it all went so wrong. I was going to get some rest last night and wake up extra early this morning and bake the cupcakes I wanted to bring for Emma's class today. By 6:30 am I already had the cupcakes in the oven, rising perfectly. I was going to let Emma help me add in the food coloring until our icing was the perfect shade of orange and then I would let her put two spooky, googly-eyed sprinkles on each one all while listening to the Children's Halloween station on Pandora. Oh yeah, and I had big hopes for getting to school on time, too.

Needless to say, it did not go well. Everything was a mess and I blamed myself. I internalized the situation to a (now) laughable degree and wondered why I was "the worst parent on the planet!!!" After scrambling into the car, 15 minutes past the absolute latest we can leave to be on time, and pulling out of the driveway, I realized that Emma didn't have shoes on. SHOES!

It was a ridiculous scene.

But somehow we made it on time, I got to eat a quick breakfast with my two boys and then we made it early to Emma's Fall Festival. We had the best time laughing with our #1 girl as she danced, sang and even shaved a pumpkin or two.

So now that I'm not the monster that I was this morning, I can't wait to pick up my girl from a day of fun, bring her home to our messy house and let her eat all the leftover icing that I didn't let her eat this morning. Yeah, I feel bad and icing makes her love me 1,000 times more.

And last but not least there is Austin. My sweetheart sidekick. Thank you, God, for making him so easy-going and always ready to hit me with a big, gummy smile when I need it the most. I really owe you one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...