Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Emma's Birthday Party Inspiration

This weekend we are having Emma's 4th birthday party and I couldn't be more excited. I have learned so much from the last three parties and really feel like this year is going to be a good one. For a kid's birthday, I think the most important thing to do is calm the eff down and just let kids be kids. For Emma's first birthday I had just recently discovered blogs and was bombarded with endless party inspiration. It nearly drove me to the brink of a full-on emotional breakdown. I wanted to make everything from scratch so that my butterball of a baby girl would think I was the most amazing mother to ever live. Well, she threw up all over her outfit 15 minutes into the party, I never got around to putting on makeup and it was blisteringly hot in our backyard because I HAD TO HAVE THE PARTY OUTSIDE. All of our guests literally melted into puddles all over the yard which made clean-up even more taxing. The party sure was cute, though!

Now, three years later, we have learned that as long as Emma gets to be a princess for the day, she is happy. She loves pink, she loves fairies and she loves her bestest girlfriends. Our social butterfly has some of the cutest little friends in her crew and we decided that this year we would keep things small, but meaningful.

The party that James threw for her Birdie is just the way a kids party should look. It appears effortless but detailed at the same time. I'm well aware that cropped photos make everything look a bit more dreamy, but I really think that this party was probably just as lovely in person as it comes through in these pictures. Besides, any party that ends with a toddler in nothing but a diaper is a winner in my book.

Long gone are the days of stressing over striped straws and sewing until 4 in the morning the night before the party. This year is going to be different and I can't wait for our girl to prance around the backyard with her buds and lick all the frosting off as many cupcakes as she wants.While I still have a few projects up my sleeve, I'm not going to stress about it being perfect. After all, this is a celebration for my girl, not a competition for the coolest party. I'm glad I finally realized that.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...