Monday, August 6, 2012

The Girls Cook: Miette Double Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing




After promising my girl that we would make some congratulatory cupcakes for becoming a green turtle, we rolled up our sleeves and got to baking yesterday. Since I know my girl all too well, I knew she was only going to lick the icing off so I decided to try out the Miette double chocolate cupcakes with a new spin on my typical homemade buttercream.

They were amazing.

I purposely overfilled the cupcakes because I didn't want millions of cupcakes lingering around the house for the next couple of days but I really wish I would have just made them the right way and shared them with neighbors. They were that good. We ended up with a dozen super dark monster cupcakes that tasted like chocolate heaven.

I read a tip from a Sprinkles recipe that said they use cold butter for the icing so that you don't overwhip and make it too fluffy. They said icing should be dense, like ice cream. It made sense to me and since I hate waiting for things to come to room temperature, I gave it a shot. What a difference! The sturdier icing made piping a dream and really provided that luxurious texture on top of the fluffy cupcake. Win! Give it a try next time you're making icing - I think you will be surprised at what a difference it makes.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...